Harlow Running Club

Road & Cross Country Running (UKA 2658068)

Forum

Forum Home > Website > Website Design

harlowrc
Site Owner

I am looking for feedback as to the design of the Harlow Running Club website.

With the increasing popularity of the forums/blog/calander application, the design template I was using places these items way down towards the bottom of the page where they cannot be seen easily. In an effort to make everything clearly visible on the home page, I am trying out a couple of template designs over the next few weeks to see what people like.

Please take a look at the website and e-mail me with any comments you have. Do you like the new designs, or do you prefer the old one?

If you have any other comments/suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jon Steadman

Webmaster

September 5, 2009 at 4:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Martin

Hi Jon

I like the new design, it makes the pages somehow look a lot bigger and the information clearer. There seem to be a couple of small glitches - the fixtures page seems to have lost the month names and the Harlow 10 page overlaps the right hand panel. See you at Welwyn Sunday.

--

Martin

September 5, 2009 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

harlowrc
Site Owner

Martin,

The Harlow 10 page was a little iffy under the old design. All I need to do is take out some of the columns from the overall results table, and all should be fine.

The Fixtures page is a little odd as all that should happen is that the page Colin puts together should appear without the navigation bar (top) or information bar (right) as it did in the old template. 

it is possible that some other pages may be a little "odd".  I shal investigate.

Jon Steadman

Webmaster

September 5, 2009 at 11:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Will

Jon,

Rec'd your e-mail prompt to comment. I soon got used to new layout which works well. My only remark would be to include a few more details on each of the headings listed to gain a better understanding of races, events and entries referred to. This would help those of us not in regular contact with club affairs (sorry) to get involved  and contribute a little more.

--

Regards Will (iAm).

Will Shoults.

September 5, 2009 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Croly

Will at 12:20PM on Sep 05, 2009

Jon,

Rec'd your e-mail prompt to comment. I soon got used to new layout which works well. My only remark would be to include a few more details on each of the headings listed to gain a better understanding of races, events and entries referred to. This would help those of us not in regular contact with club affairs (sorry) to get involved  and contribute a little more.

Jon,

Prefer the new layout to the old one. Martins comment was only one I picked up on. Other than layout, if I may suggest every now and then changing home page picture and comments. For example the men who got trophys coming 3rd in mid week league. Ladies breaking new club records, or town park fair recruitment drive. Its just a thought and may encourage non members to look for friends or family who are running members. As it stands, I think website has come on tenfold.Well done.

Dave.

September 5, 2009 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Georgina

Hi Jon,

I was wondering if it's worth having a "Kit Bag" or "Stockists" page on the website with links to websites that sell running gear like clothes, trainers, water bottles etc.

I'm not sure what the law is around advertising, but maybe we could even obtain sponsorship from companies or sell space for adverts on our page for providing them with likely customers? Alternatively, I know that sometimes websites pay a dividend for every purchase made through a website that directs customers their way. Again, I don't know the ins and outs of all this, but just an idea!!

Even without the extra income, it could be useful for members to have a page showing vendors of the kit that makes our hobby more comfortable! 

George

September 28, 2009 at 4:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jon Steadman
Site Owner

Georgina at 04:37AM on Sep 28, 2009

Hi Jon,

I was wondering if it's worth having a "Kit Bag" or "Stockists" page on the website with links to websites that sell running gear like clothes, trainers, water bottles etc.

I'm not sure what the law is around advertising, but maybe we could even obtain sponsorship from companies or sell space for adverts on our page for providing them with likely customers? Alternatively, I know that sometimes websites pay a dividend for every purchase made through a website that directs customers their way. Again, I don't know the ins and outs of all this, but just an idea!!

Even without the extra income, it could be useful for members to have a page showing vendors of the kit that makes our hobby more comfortable! 

George

Georgina,

Within the Links section of the website, there are a few online stores/links to local running shops etc, but I agree that a page could be created to bring this to the fore.

With respect to adverts, I would be a little reluctant other than asking to use a company logo, but may be worth considering in someway - I will not dissmiss it.

In the meantime, If you know of any good stockists of running gear, send me the details and I will put together a list.

--

Jon Steadman
Webmaster

September 28, 2009 at 3:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jon Steadman
Site Owner

Georgine,

Cheers for the web addresses.

--

Jon Steadman
Webmaster

September 29, 2009 at 5:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Adrian F

A couple of small-ish suggestions from me:

- (as we chatted about earlier today) it would be cool if there was a private section that allowed members (or possibly verified members - not sure.....) to view each others contact phone numbers if we'd chosen to upload them.  Reason being it would be very useful when it comes to arranging training runs or meeting-up to convoy to a race.  F'rinstance today I could easily have driven a couple of people to Manuden but I didn't have anyone's number so no way to let anyone know.

- Regarding users, I guess that usernames can be anything (i.e. if someone want's to call themself seb_coe then no reason they shouldn't......) however it would be useful if it was possible to identify who each user is (by clicking on username perhaps? again, this would prob need to be restricted to members).  Reason for this one being that from what I can gather there are at least 4 of every name at HRC! :)   It's not always easy/possible to know which John/Jamie/Dave is posting.

Great work on the website though, I think it's going from strength to strength & traffic/posts are noticebly increasing on a weekly basis from what I can see.  And it's already proving a tangibly useful resource - for example I wouldn't have entered this week's Manuden 10K if it' hadn't been for the forum thread discussing it.

cheers
Ade

October 4, 2009 at 2:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jon Steadman
Site Owner

Adrian,

Your comments wrt. private section - the site has always had this facility, but there have not been enough members until now to make it worth while.

I shall try to encourage users to name themselves either by a avatar name or more descriptive name. It would also help to identify people if they filled in their membership details.  Although I (and other moderators - club commitee) do have the ability to edit what I like (could change your name for instance...) I am restricted by the way the forum works and I cannot really go around changing people's details.

Keep the feedback going.

--

Jon Steadman
Webmaster

October 4, 2009 at 3:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Important Announcements

RACE RULES: Members are reminded that it is now against UKA and BARR rules to swap race numbers WITHOUT permission from the race organisers.  If a runner of an affiliated event is found to be in breach of this rule, then the runner can be disqualified and further sanctions applied to both the runners and their clubs.

Sponsored Links

If you are interested in sponsoring one of Harlow Running Club's events and having a link to your site below, then please contact [email protected]

Upcoming Events

Tuesday, Jul 17 at 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Tuesday, Jul 24 at 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Thursday, Jul 26 at 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Tuesday, Jul 31 at 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM